I just finished my third draft of the new work and am going to give it one more before I just say, good enough. There are still some things to be ironed out, but I can’t wait until the moment the draft is out of my hands and I can start working on something else.
In which I realize I don’t even have a title for it. Awesome. I’m probably going to do something like Wasteland Chronicles where every title was one word.
The Omnibus is still in edits. It’s a big work so it’s going to take a long time to make sure the typos are perfectly clean. After that, it’s going to get another round of proofing, at which point I’ve done pretty much everything I can. No less than five pairs of eyes are going to be looking at the entire thing before it’s all said and done. It’s going to the flagship entry to the series so I want to do everything I can to make it right.
The Omnibus will be coming out next month for sure, and if we’re lucky, the first book of Xenoworld will be as well. I know it’s far, far later than I ever imagined, but now that the story and world is set, the rest of the writing should come faster.
Now, for the main meat of this post. What can one expect out of Xenoworld Saga?
1. For the most part, it’s going to be a low tech world, though there high tech elements to it (which will become more apparently later in the series).
2. Lots of varying nations and empires.
3. A female main character.
4. The descendents of Alex and the rest will inherit their Elekai abilities, although to a lesser extent than the original crew. In all, these abilities are categorized into twelve different Gifts, including Dragonspeech, calling other Elekai across vast distances, telepathy, prophecies, visions, and healing. These powers are all based on the xenofungus (called xen in the series) and the collective Elekai consciousness, called the Xenofold.
5. Lots of history (almost four hundred years of it, in fact). It’s a bit overwhelming at times.
6. Areas of the world outside the southwestern United States. This will grow more apparent in later books.
7. The series will be anywhere from 3-7 books. We’ll see.
8. There are at least two crazy twists toward the very end.
9. The first book will be about 95,000 words long. Shorter than I expected, but I didn’t want it to be too long. The new ending I’ve come up with hopefully doesn’t make all the extra stuff I wrote unusable.
10. A big glossary of terms at the end for your reading pleasure.
That’s all I’m willing to say for now. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Thank you so much for all your patience. This is taking way longer than I thought it would, mainly because I’m working on the Omnibus, too. Hopefully I’ll be running out of the gate this year with these two releases.