I haven’t had much in the way of news lately, as I’ve been busy writing and working. But now, I’ve just finished my third book in The Wasteland Chronicles. This one is titled Evolution.
Some fun facts about writing this book:
1. This book wasn’t supposed to exist to begin with. Now, it kind of does.
2. Originally, the Wasteland Chronicles was only supposed to be a series of four novellas that could all be considered to be a large novel. Now, it’s going to be a series of seven novellas that can be seen as an absolutely colossal novel.
3. I originally tried to plan this whole thing out from the beginning using a super detailed outline. I got word 30,000 of said outline, only to scrap ten thousand words of it and throw my outline out the window. I guess I truly learned what type of writer I am. I am a pantser all the way!
4. From beginning to end, Evolution took the least amount of time to write. It might mean I’m getting better at this, I’m not sure. I’m certainly learning that I can write a lot faster than I used to.
5. The word count of the first draft is almost, almost, 50,000 words. I was actually expecting it to be much higher than that, and it will probably come out to be more in the end, especially if I decided to add any scenes.
6. As it stands now, the entire word count for the series is about 142,000 words. The series is about halfway done.
Hopefully, I can get this bad boy edited, smack it on the bottom, and publish it as soon as possible. It would be amazing if I could have the whole series done before the year is out. I think I can manage it, but I’ll have to write like a madman to finish three books in the intervening time.
My next project will probably be a prequel, entitled Darkness, and then it’s on to the last two books of the series, Extinction and Xenofall.
Finishing the first draft of a book is always a good feeling! Now to celebrate with…something, perhaps.